Memorial Weekend Safety Tips
It’s Memorial Day Weekend!
Memorial Day is a time to remember and honor lost veterans who fought to keep our way of life and ensure our safety. Prestige ER salutes all veterans and their families. We are grateful for your sacrifice.
Memorial Day Weekend also happens to be the unofficial start of summer. This weekend many of us will happily dust off our grills and put on our shorts or swimwear to welcome summer.
Whether you plan to grill, host a pool party, or spend time outdoors with your family, remember that safety should always come first. Follow these Memorial weekend safety tips for a happy and safe Memorial Day Weekend!
The first of our Memorial weekend safety tips is sun safety. Chances are you’ve been spending a lot of time indoors because of the weather and the COVID-19 pandemic. So we are sure you are eager to get out and spend some much-needed time outdoors.
Just remember to:
- Wear sunscreen and reapply it every two hours
- Stay hydrated
- Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes
Picnic Safety tips
Our next Memorial weekend safety tips is to ensure food safety. Picnics are a fun and relaxing way to spend your Memorial Day weekend and still keep some physical distance from non-members of your social bubble.
If you are planning a picnic, keep the following safety tips in mind:
- Wear insect repellent
- Store your food in containers with lids to avoid insects getting into it
- Keep your food in a cooler up until you plan to eat it to prevent it from spoiling
Our third Memorial weekend safety tip is to stay vigilant to avoid a drowning emergency. Water safety is important whether you plan to go fishing, boating, tubing, or swimming in your backyard or neighbor’s pool.
- Always keep an eye on the kids while in or around bodies of water
- Alcohol and water activities are not a good mix. If you plan to go in the water, avoid drinking alcohol
- Always go swimming with a companion
- Choose beaches that have lifeguard stations close by in case of an emergency
- Make sure everyone in the boat is wearing a lifejacket
Our fourth tip is associated with delicious. Did you know May is National Barbeque Month? Well, it is!
Who doesn’t love a good BBQ? The thought alone makes our mouths water.
If BBQ is on the menu this weekend, we want you to enjoy it to the fullest, but please take all the necessary precautions.
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), barbeques, grills, and hibachis are involved in an average of 10,600 home fires every year, causing property damage and burn injuries, and even death.
Contact burns are one of the most common injuries during BBQs. These occur when people touch a part of the grill or hot coals. Unfortunately, many of the patients that end up in the emergency rooms are children under five years of age.
To prevent such an unfortunate incident, Prestige Emergency Room offers some BBQ safety tips :
- Place your grill away from your home or deck railing and out from under eaves and overhanging branches
- Keep children and pets away from the grill
- Only use propane and charcoal BBQ grills outdoors
- Make sure to clean your grill after every use removing any grease or fat buildup
- Check the propane tank to ensure it has no dents, it is not damaged or rusted, and do not store tanks indoors
- Check the gas tank hose for leaks
- If you smell gas while cooking, immediately get away from the grill and call the fire department
- Avoid leaning over the grill while cooking
- Please do not move your grill while it’s on or still hot.
- Never leave the grill unattended
- Do not use flammable liquids such as gasoline or kerosene to light coals. Use only charcoal starter fluid, and once used, keep away from the grill, heat sources, and children
- When you finish grilling, let the grill cool completely before moving it or cleaning it. If using a charcoal grill, let ashes cool at least 48 hours before disposing of them. If this is not possible, then soak with water thoroughly before disposing of it in a non-combustible container
- Be prepared in case a fire should start. Keep a fire extinguisher close by.
When to Go to the ER
Our final safety and prevention tip is the most important. Memorial Day Weekend will allow us to spend time with our loved ones after a very challenging year. It’s up to each of us to ensure we enjoy this time responsibly and safely.
Many outdoor accidents are preventable, but sometimes no matter how well we plan things, the unexpected can happen.
During these times, it’s vital to assess the situation correctly and know when to seek medical help.
Prestige ER now has two locations in Plano and Mesquite. We are open and available to treat any medical emergency, including:
- Falls resulting in broken bones or traumatic brain injury
- Cuts that require stitches or wounds that won’t stop bleeding
- Sunburns, heat exhaustion, and dehydration
- Car crashes
- Boating accidents and drownings
- Food poisoning
- Insect or animal bites
- Allergic reactions
You don’t need to call; just walk right in. Our team of medical professionals is always available 24/7.
HealthCare.gov recommends that in case of an emergency, you head straight to the closest ER.
You DO NOT need to get prior approval from your health insurance company.
They will cover expenses barring whatever your deductible and coinsurance/copayments are for emergency treatments.
Prestige ER is open and ready to care for you during an emergency in which your health is significantly jeopardized 24/7, we work with all major insurance companies and our Patient Advocate team is available to help you understand your coverage and rights. We will guide and fight for you every step of the way. For more information regarding your rights as a patient, view our Insurance Information.
Know Where to Go in the Event of an Emergency
Prestige ER is Your #1 Choice During an Emergency.
#WeStayOPEN 24/7, through weekends & all holidays!
Prestige ER is honored to serve the residents and those passing through Plano and surrounding cities like Frisco and Allen.
Part of caring for your health is to know where to go in case of an emergency. Please keep in mind that Prestige ER is Open 24/7 every day of the year, if you need us, we are here for you.
We are available 24/7 because an accident can happen at any time. Do not risk your health! Get help from the ER experts when you need it, visit us immediately at either of our locations.
#1 Medical Emergency Care in Plano and Mesquite
Find the ER Specialists at prestigeer.org, We provide the Best 24 HR. Emergency Medical Services in Mesquite and Plano, TX. Don’t Wait in Line for ER Care! Don’t forget that WE STAY OPEN 24/7.
Get back on track to enjoying life, FAST! Experienced, Effective, and Caring Emergency Physicians team up with the best On-Site ER care for everything from Minor to Major Injuries and Conditions.
- CT Scan, Digital X-Ray & Ultrasound
- Certified Full-Service Diagnostic Laboratory
- Specialized Pediatrics ER Care Facilities
- Extended Stay Capacity