Dangers of Flu Complications
Are You at Risk for Complications from the Flu?
The dangers of flu complications are a reality and should never been underestimated. Shorter days and a drop-in temperature signal the advent of the dreaded flu season, for most getting the flu means a few days of feeling under the weather, and staying home for a few days until the symptoms subside, but for certain segments of the population, contracting the influenza virus puts them at a higher risk of developing complications which could be life-threatening if not treated properly.
Who is at Risk?
Anyone can develop complications from the flu virus, but some people have a higher risk of developing complications, these include:
- Adults over the age of 65
- Children under the age of 5, and especially children under the age of 2
- Pregnant women and women two weeks postpartum
- People belonging to either of these ethnic groups, Native Americans, and Alaskan Natives.
Additionally, anyone who suffers from the following medical conditions is more prone to develop complications from the influenza virus:
- Chronic lung disease such as COPD, and cystic fibrosis
- People suffering from neurological and neurodevelopmental conditions like muscular dystrophy, epilepsy, cerebral palsy, among others.
- Those who have been diagnosed with heart disease
- People with blood disorders like sickle cell
- Anyone chronic endocrine disorders such as diabetes
- People who have kidney or liver disorders
- Anyone with a weakened immune system
- Individuals who are morbidly obese with a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or higher
Most Common Complications from the Flu
The flu is a viral illness that affects the upper respiratory tract (nose, throat), as well as the lower respiratory tract (lungs), when the illness is not properly treated from the onset, complications ranging from moderate to life-threatening can develop.
- Ear infections
- Sinus infections
Severe or Life-Threatening Complications
- Inflammation of the heart (myocarditis)
- Inflammation of the brain (encephalitis)
- Inflammation of muscle tissue (myositis, rhabdomyolysis)
- Multi-Organ failure (for example, respiratory and kidney failure)
When Should You Visit Prestige ER
Our immune systems weaken with age, and people who are 65 or older often develop long-term health problems like heart disease, and COPD, which increases their risk of developing complications from the influenza virus.
People with the flu who are 65 and older should seek immediate emergency medical assistance if they experience the following:
- Trouble breathing
- Persistent fevers
- Sweats and or chills
- No significant health improvements after three or four days
- Symptoms that initially improve but then seem to get worse
Pregnancy brings about many changes in a woman’s body, some of which can weaken the immune system, and affect the heart and lungs putting them at risk of developing complications from the flu.
Women with the flu who are pregnant or have given birth within two weeks should come into our emergency room the moment they experience any of the following symptoms:
- High fevers, sweats and or chills, fevers in pregnant women can lead to harmful side effects in the unborn child
- Decrease or lack of movement from the baby
- Pain, pressure in the chest or abdomen
- Sudden dizziness
- Persistent vomiting
- Elevated blood pressure
Children and Infants
The immune system in children under the age of 5 is not fully developed yet, putting them at risk of developing serious complications from the flu virus compared to adults.
If your child shows any of the following signs please rush him to Prestige ER immediately:
- Trouble breathing
- Persistent high fevers, sweats and or chills
- If their skin color turns bluish or grey
- Intense vomiting
- If they have trouble swallowing or drinking
- If they seem lethargic, are having trouble responding or interacting with others
- Decreased appetite
- If symptoms improve only to worsen again.
Prestige ER – In Plano and Mesquite
#1 CHOICE for FAST 24/7 EMERGENCY CARE
At Prestige ER we are fully equipped to diagnose and treat anyone showing the typical symptoms of the influenza virus, as well as those who have developed complications. Our in-house certified laboratory and extensive diagnostic equipment will provide quick and accurate results, allowing our emergency doctors to begin lifesaving treatment immediately.
We are available 24/7 because an accident or illness complication can happen at any time. Do not risk your health for not getting help from the ER experts, visit us immediately at your nearest location.
Find the Emergency Room Specialists at prestigeer.org, We provide the Best 24 HR. Emergency Medical Services in Plano or Mesquite. Don’t Wait in Line for ER Care!
Get back on track to enjoying life, FAST! Experienced, Effective and Caring Emergency Physicians team up with the best On-Site ER care for everything from Minor to Major Injuries and Conditions.
- CT Scan, Digital X-Ray & Ultrasound
- Certified Full-Service Diagnostic Laboratory
- Specialized Pediatrics ER Care Facilities
- Extended Stay Capacity