Drowsy Driving Prevention Week – Stay Awake, Arrive Alive!
Drowsy Driving Prevention Week®
Stay Awake – Arrive Alive!
There are multiple campaigns to prevent drinking and driving, however, we seldom hear of the hazards of driving while being fatigued.
This week the National Sleep Foundation celebrates their public awareness campaign known as “Drowsy Driving Prevention Week®” which serves to educate drivers about sleep safety. As part of our commitment to improving and safeguarding the lives of the members of our community, Prestige ER joins the national efforts to warn about the dangers of driving while exhausted.
Drowsy Driving Facts and Stats
Determining the exact number of motor vehicle crashes caused by drowsiness is not yet possible, there are no tests that drivers can undergo as is the case with drunk drivers, and not all reports list fatigue or sleepiness as the potential cause. This notwithstanding, we can all agree it is a big traffic safety issue, and there are some statistics which are alarming:
- The traffic safety, sleep science and public health communities estimate that 7% of all crashes and 16.5% of fatal crashes involve a drowsy driver.
- This suggests that anywhere from 6,000 to 8,000 people die every year in drowsy-driving related motor vehicle crashes across the United States.
- 4% of drivers report having driven when they were so fatigued they had trouble staying awake in the last 30 days.
- 8% of driver’s report having done so more than once.
- 4% of drivers report having trouble staying awake behind the wheel regularly.
- Drowsy-driving crashes can happen at any time; however, they are more prevalent during late night hours, pre-dawn or mid-afternoon.
- Studies show that drivers aged 16-24 are twice as likely to be drowsy at the time of a crash compared to drivers aged 40-59.
- Drivers who sleep an average of 5 to 6 hours in a 24-hour period are twice as likely to crash compared to drivers who sleep 7 or more hours in the same period. And crash rates spike with every hour of lost sleep.
Have You Been in an Accident? Prestige ER is Open 24/7 in Plano.
How to Prevent Drowsy Driving
The staff of Prestige ER strongly believes that prevention is the best policy, working in an emergency center we get to see first-hand the devastation and pain that motor vehicles can cause. For this reason, we have put together a list of tips to avoid drowsy-driving incidents.
- Get enough Sleep: Most adults need an average of 7 to 9 hours of sleep per night, teenagers require 8.5 to 9.5 hours to maintain proper alertness.
- Get Quality Sleep: Make sure you are getting healthy sleep and learn to recognize sleep problems, many Americans suffer from sleep disorders and do not know it, if you are constantly feeling tired and sleepy during the day it could be a sign that you suffer from a sleep disorder, so talk to your doctor about it.
- When Possible, Don’t Travel Alone: If you are traveling a long distance, try to have a companion with you to keep you alert and share the driving.
- Take a Break: Schedule breaks on long trips, a good rule of thumb is to stop every 100 miles or every 2 hours.
- Stay Sober: Avoid drinking alcohol, remember if you drink don’t drive.
- Be careful with Medications: Read the label on all medications you take, some may cause drowsiness and impair your ability to drive.
- Be Responsible: If you feel fatigued it is best to not get behind the wheel of a car or truck, instead chose to take the bus, a taxi, or ask someone to drive you instead.
We’re Fast, Effective and Caring Emergency Physicians. Here for You 24/7.
When it’s Time to Visit the ER
Road safety is everyone’s responsibility, preventing drowsy driving-related incidents is something we can all do if we follow the tips above. However, accidents will happen, but the good news is Prestige ER is here to take care of you and your loved ones and help you get back on your feet.
We are available 24/7 because an accident can happen at any time. Do not risk your health by not getting an indepth insight into an injury, visit us immediately on.
Find the ER Specialists at PrestigeER.org, We provide the Best 24 HR. Emergency Medical Services in Plano. Don’t Wait in Line for ER Care!
Get back on track to enjoying life, FAST! Experienced, Effective and Caring Emergency Physicians team up with the best On-Site ER care for everything from Minor to Major Injuries and Conditions.
- CT Scan, Digital X-Ray & Ultrasound
- Certified Full-Service Diagnostic Laboratory
- Specialized Pediatrics ER Care Facilities
- Extended Stay Capacity
#PrestigeERCares About YOU! We’re on 7940 Custer Road, Plano, Texas 75025
Email: email@example.com Phone: (972)527-3000 #BestERPlano