What is a Urinary Tract
A urinary tract infection (UTI) is an infection that affects any part of the urinary tract which includes the kidneys, ureters, bladder, and urethra.
Most infections occur in the lower urinary tract in the bladder and urethra, but it can also affect the upper urinary tract in either the kidneys or ureters where the infections tend to be more serious.
UTI's are one of the most common infections in humans, and women have a higher risk of infection than men.
Caring Emergency Trained Physicians Prestige ER is Open 24/7 in Plano.
What Causes Urinary Tract
UTI's usually occur when urinary tract defense system fails, and bacteria are allowed to enter the system through the urethra, from there it travels to the bladder where it multiplies.
The bacteria responsible for the infection are usually found in the gastrointestinal tract (GI). Women have a higher risk of infection because of the close proximity of the female urethra and the anus.
Do You Think You Have Strep Throat?
How to Prevent Urinary Tract Infections
The following steps can help reduce the risk of developing a UTI:
- Drink Plenty of Water: Drinking water helps dilute urine and results in more frequent urination, this allows bacteria to be flushed out before it can develop into an infection.
- Wipe from Front to Back: Cleaning yourself this way after urinating or a bowel movement will prevent bacteria from entering the urethra o the vagina.
- Empty your Bladder Soon After Intercourse: This will help flush any bacteria out of your urinary tract.
- Avoid Irritating Feminine Products: The use of deodorants and other such feminine products have become popular in recent years, however, many of these products can irritate the urethra making it more susceptible to infections.
- Keep your Genital Area Clean and Dry: Wash your genital area with soap and water every day, wear cotton underwear and avoid tight clothing.
- Choose the Right Birth Control: Diaphragms, unlubricated or spermicide treated condoms can contribute to bacteria growth, talk to your gynecologist about the right birth control method for you.
Symptoms of a Urinary Tract Infection
The main issue with UTI’s is that they don’t always manifest symptoms, this makes them easy to overlook. However, when symptoms are displayed they usually include the following:
- A persistent urge to urinate
- A burning sensation when urinating
- Passing frequent but small amounts of urine
- Urine that appears cloudy
- Red, pink, or brown colored urine, this is a sign of blood in the urine
- Strong-smelling urine
- Pelvic pain in women
There are other symptoms associated with UTI infection depending on where the infection is:
UTI Infection in the Kidneys
- Upper back and side pain
- High fever
- Nausea and Vomiting
UTI Infection in the Bladder (Cystitis)
- Pelvic pressure
- Lower abdomen discomfort
- Frequent painful urination
- Presence of blood in the urine
UTI Infection in the Urethra (Urethritis)
- Burning sensation when urinating
- Unusual discharge
#PrestigeERCares About Your Health!
PRESTIGE ER is the #1 24/7 FAST Emergency Care Near You!
When to Go to
Patients should seek emergency medical treatment when:
- They feel pain in their upper back and flank as this could indicate a kidney infection
- Women who experience pelvic pain or pressure
- The urine coloration changes to red, pink, or brown as this is a sign that blood is present in the urine.
#PrestigeERCares About Your Health!
Prestige ER is Open 24 HRS. When Urgent Cares are Closed!
PRESTIGE ER is the #1 Choice
for FAST 24/7 EMERGENCY CARE Near You!
At Prestige ER, we are available 24/7 because an accident or illness complication can happen at any time. Do not risk your health for not getting help from the ER experts, visit us immediately on 7940 Custer Road Plano, Texas 75025.
Find the ER Specialists at PrestigeER.org, We provide the Best 24 HR. Emergency Medical Services in Plano. Don’t Wait in Line for ER Care!
#PrestigeERCares About YOU!
Prestige ER In Plano,
Texas, Near Frisco and Allen
#1 CHOICE for FAST 24/7 EMERGENCY CARE
Get back on track to enjoying life, FAST! Experienced, Effective and Caring Emergency Physicians team up with the best On-Site ER care for everything from Minor to Major Injuries and Conditions. Prestige ER is the place to go for common viral infection testing and treatment.
- CT Scan, Digital X-Ray & Ultrasound
- Certified Full-Service Diagnostic Laboratory
- Specialized Pediatrics ER Care Facilities
- Extended Stay Capacity