What is Strep Throat?
Strep is a highly contagious bacterial infection that can affect individuals of all age groups, however, it is most prevalent in children between the ages of 5 and 15 years-old.
Caring Emergency Trained Physicians Prestige ER is Open 24/7 in Plano.
What Causes Strep Throat?
Strep throat is caused by bacteria known as Streptococcus pyogenes or group A Streptococcus. These bacteria are highly contagious and can easily spread through airborne droplets when an infected patient sneezes or coughs or by sharing food and drinks with sick individuals.
The bacteria can also linger on surfaces such as doorknobs, railings, and flat surfaces, and can easily be transferred onto a healthy individual who may later transfer them to their nose, mouth or eyes and become infected.
Preventing Strep Throat
By knowing what causes strep, individuals can take appropriate steps to stop the spread of the infection, these steps include:
- Wash Your Hands Frequently: Having clean hands is the best way to prevent the spread of infectious diseases. It is important for both children and adults to frequently wash their hands with plenty of soap and water or an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Cover Your Mouth and Nose: Adults should lead by example and teach their children to cover their mouths when they cough or sneeze.
- Don’t Share Eating Utensils or Drinking Glasses: The Streptococcus pyogenes bacteria is most commonly transferred through infected droplets, which means that sharing a spoon, fork or a drinking from someone else’s glass could get you infected.
PRESTIGE ER is the #1 24/7 FAST Emergency Care Near You!
Strep Throat Symptoms
Signs and symptoms of Strep include:
- Sudden Severe Sore Throat
- Redness and Swelling of the Tonsils, (sometimes with white patches or streaks of pus)
- Painful Swallowing
- Small red spots on the back of the roof of the mouth
- Swollen, Tender Lymph Nodes
- Body Aches
- Nausea and Vomiting, especially in Young Children
- Occasional Abdominal Pain
Patients with strep throat can be contagious up to two weeks after symptoms manifest, but infected individuals can be contagious even if they have not demonstrated any of these symptoms.
Other illnesses share the same symptoms as strep throat, to get a proper diagnosis, physicians will prescribe a strep test.
#PrestigeERCares About Your Health!
Prestige ER is Open 24 HRS. When Urgent Cares are Closed!
When to Go to The Emergency
At Prestige ER, we are available 24/7 because an accident or illness complication can happen at any time. Do not risk your health for not getting help from the ER experts, visit us immediately on 7940 Custer Road Plano, Texas 75025.
Untreated cases of strep throat infection can lead to serious complications such as:
- Spread of infection to the tonsils, sinuses, middle ear, skin, and blood.
- Scarlet fever, a streptococcal infection characterized by a prominent rash
- Inflammation of the kidneys
- Rheumatic fever, a serious inflammatory condition that can affect the heart, joints, nervous system, and skin
You should head to the emergency room when you notice these signs or symptoms:
- A severe sore throat accompanied by swelling or tenderness of the lymph nodes in your neck
- A severe sore throat that has lasted for more than 48 hours
- A fever of 101 or higher, or a fever lasting more than 48 hours
- A sore throat accompanied by skin rash
- Problems breathing or swallowing
The symptoms of strep throat should diminish once the doctor starts the appropriate antibiotic treatment, however, if your symptoms do not improve within 48 hours return to Prestige ER immediately for further evaluation.
#PrestigeERCares About YOU!
Prestige ER In Plano,
Texas, Near Frisco and Allen
#1 CHOICE for FAST 24/7 EMERGENCY CARE
Get back on track to enjoying life, FAST! Experienced, Effective and Caring Emergency Physicians team up with the best On-Site ER care for everything from Minor to Major Injuries and Conditions.
- CT Scan, Digital X-Ray & Ultrasound
- Certified Full-Service Diagnostic Laboratory
- Specialized Pediatrics ER Care Facilities
- Extended Stay Capacity