Spring Allergies Survival Tips
There are few things in life better than spring in Plano, the days are longer, the sun is brighter, the flowers are in bloom.
But, if you are one of the estimated 50 million American’s who suffers from seasonal allergies, springtime can be a time of misery. However, there are ways to minimize your annoying symptoms and enjoy this beautiful time of year.
At Prestige ER, we care about the members of the community we serve, and therefore we have put together a short list of tips that can help you enjoy spring. First, however, let’s try to understand what causes these life-disrupting symptoms.
What Causes Spring Allergies?
This time of year, pollen is the number one allergen to avoid. Spring is known to be the time nature regenerates after the long dormant period of winter, this means flowers, trees, grasses, and weeds release pollen.
Even if you don’t have a yard, or if you don’t live near a park you can still be exposed to high levels of pollen, because it can easily become airborne with a slight breeze and travel for miles. Because of urban planning efforts to create more forest ecosystems the pollen counts this time of year goes up considerably.
There are many trees that are known triggers for spring allergies, and a lot of these grow abundantly in our city like, cypress, cottonwood, elms, willows, cedar, juniper, mulberry, oak, and sycamores.
To these triggers we must add grasses in our yards and parks as well as some weeds, amongst the most triggers in this class we have: bermuda, fescue, june, johnson, perennial rye, orchard, redtop, saltgrass, sweet vernal, and timothy.
Helpful Tips to Survive Spring Allergies
- Prevention: If you have already been diagnosed with seasonal allergies, then the best thing is to start taking your antihistamine medication as soon as possible, don’t wait until you have symptoms.
- Get Diagnosed: If you are unsure of which elements trigger your allergies, the best thing to do is to visit an allergy specialist and get your allergy profile, this will help you identify the root cause of your symptoms.
- Climate Control is your Friend: Staying indoors with your windows and doors shut is the best way to avoid contact with pollen. Turn on your air conditioning when you are home, office or in your car. Don’t use window or attic fans as these can draw in pollen from the air. It is advisable to have a professional inspect your ducts and filters to ensure they are clean and mold free.
- Clean Up: Keep your home as dust free as possible. Use a saline nasal wash, this will help flush any pollen particles that may have entered your nose. If you have been outdoors, as soon as you come home it is advisable for you to take a shower and change clothes, this is important because pollen is very sticky, and it can cling to hair, clothes, and skin easily.
- Hire a Gardner: Avoid doing any yard work yourself, instead have someone else who does not have spring allergies do it for you.
- Cover Up: If you need to outdoors we suggest you wear a scarf or breathing mask to avoid inhaling any pollen particles.
- Monitor Your Local Pollen Count: Windy days have higher pollen counts compared to days with no winds and even more so compared to rainy days. Click here to monitor the pollen count in your area.
What to Do When Seasonal Allergies Turn Serious
For the most part the symptoms of spring allergies are mild and although they can be life-disrupting and uncomfortable they are seldom life-threatening, however, if your medication is not working, or you have trouble breathing you should come in to Prestige ER immediately for evaluation, you may be suffering from a severe allergic reaction that could turn deadly if not treated properly.
HealthCare.gov recommends that in case of an emergency, you head straight to the closest ER.
You DO NOT need to get prior approval from your health insurance company.
They will cover expenses barring whatever your deductible and coinsurance/copayments are for emergency treatments.
Prestige ER is open and ready to attend car crash victims 24/7, we work with all major insurance companies and our Patient Advocate team is available to help you understand your coverage and rights. We will guide and fight for you every step of the way.
Know Where to Go in the Event of an Emergency
Prestige ER is Your #1 Choice During an Emergency.
#WeStayOPEN 24/7, through weekends & all holidays!
Prestige ER is honored to serve the residents and those passing through Plano and surrounding cities like Frisco and Allen.
Part of caring for your health is to know where to go in case of an emergency. Please keep in mind that Prestige ER is Open 24/7 every day of the year, if you need us, we are here for you.
We are available 24/7 because an accident can happen at any time. Do not risk your health! Get help from the ER experts when you need it, visit us immediately at either our Plano or Mesquite locations.
#1 Medical Emergency Care
Find the ER Specialists at prestigeer.org, We provide the Best 24 HR. Emergency Medical Services in Plano and Mesquite, Texas. Don’t Wait in Line for ER Care! Don’t forget that WE STAY OPEN 24/7.
Get back on track to enjoying life, FAST! Experienced, Effective and Caring Emergency Physicians team up with the best On-Site ER care for everything from Minor to Major Injuries and Conditions.
- CT Scan, Digital X-Ray & Ultrasound
- Certified Full-Service Diagnostic Laboratory
- Specialized Pediatrics ER Care Facilities
- Extended Stay Capacity