Tips to Enjoy a Great Texas Summer
We are fast approaching that time of year where the temperature in Texas raises to triple digits. You’ll hear people mentioning that it’s “hotter than blue blazes”. Why, of course it is, it’s summer in Texas!
But not even the heat should stop you from enjoying our beautiful state. There are many ways to enjoy the summer in Texas; you just need to take a few precautions to avoid any injuries.
Follow our tips to ensure your time outdoors is as memorable and fun as you imagined it!
Safe and Easy Summer Tips
Summertime means family get-togethers, weekend hikes, outdoor pool parties, and lots of fun activities in the sun. However, all this fun in the sun can lead to dehydration, sunburns, heat stroke, and insect bites if you are not careful.
By following the Prestige ER safe and easy tips to enjoy a great Texas summer, you can avoid all these unpleasant situations.
Add More Fruits and Veggies to Your Summer Diet
The first of our tips to enjoy a great Texas summer is fruity! Fruits and vegetables are full of antioxidants which can help protect your skin against sun-damage, slow the aging process, and even protect against cancer. Snack on refrigerated or frozen fruit to keep cool in the Texas heat.
Our next of our tips to enjoy a great Texas summer is to take hydration seriously. During the summer months, our Prestige ER gets slammed with dehydrated patients. Dehydration is a significant concern during the summer months, and it increases the risk of heat exhaustion and in more severe cases heat stroke.
To prevent dehydration, you should:
- Carry a refillable BPA Free water bottle with you always.
- Follow the 20-minute rule; this means you should drink water every 20 minutes when outdoors.
- Avoid alcoholic and sugary beverages.
- While engaging in an outdoor sport, it is recommended to drink electrolyte powered drinks which help to replenish lost minerals.
Don’t Forget the Sunscreen
Applying sunscreen should be a daily habit regardless of what time of year it is, but it is especially important during the summer months.
- Choose a broad-spectrum sunscreen that protects you from both UVA and UVB rays.
- Apply the sunscreen onto dry skin 15 minutes before going outside.
- Re-apply sunscreen every two hours, or after swimming or sweating profusely.
Protect Your Eyes
According to the American Academy of Ophthalmology, too much exposure to UV light increases the risk of developing certain eye diseases such as cataract, growths on the eye, and cancer.
To prevent UV damage to your eyes you should:
- Wear UV-blocking sunglasses and broad-brimmed hats whenever you are outside, even if the day doesn’t seem to be too sunny.
- Never look directly at the sun.
- Protect your eyes from dust by wearing sunglasses or goggles.
- Use artificial tears when your eyes are dry.
Know Where to Go in the Event of an Emergency
Prestige ER is Your #1 Choice During an Emergency.
#WeStayOPEN 24/7, through weekends & all holidays!
Prestige ER is honored to serve the residents and those passing through Plano and Mesquite.
Part of caring for your health is to know where to go in case of an emergency. Please keep in mind that Prestige ER is Open 24/7 every day of the year, if you need us, we are here for you.
We are available 24/7 because an accident can happen at any time. Do not risk your health! Get help from the ER experts when you need it, visit us immediately.
#1 Medical Emergency Care in Plano and Mesquite
Find the ER Specialists at prestigeer.org, We provide the Best 24 HR. Emergency Medical Services in Plano. Don’t Wait in Line for ER Care! Don’t forget that WE STAY OPEN 24/7.
Get back on track to enjoying life, FAST! Experienced, Effective and Caring Emergency Physicians team up with the best On-Site ER care for everything from minor to major injuries and conditions.
- CT Scan, Digital X-Ray & Ultrasound
- Certified Full-Service Diagnostic Laboratory
- Specialized Pediatrics ER Care Facilities
- Extended Stay Capacity