National Physicians Week
Meet Doctor Thrift, Prestige ER Physician
Times change and tons of new professions have popped up but doctors have and will hold a special place among the world’s most respected professions. In honor of National Physicians Week, let’s find out what it takes to be a good doctor and to meet one. An emergency center must be fully equipped to take on any type of medical emergency from its equipment to its specialized staff. These exceptional professionals possess certain traits making them highly effective during the most critical scenarios.
Traits of a Great ER Doctor
To get selected to medical school it will take intelligence and determination with tenacity to get through the long years of studies. However, once a doctor there are traits that separate the good ones from the great ones. Saving lives is not for everyone.
- Compassionate & Humane. The reality is that at the core a compassionate person with real care for humanity is an important trait of a great physician. They will exhibit genuine empathy, concern for the urgency and care about the outcome. A physician with a true calling will be there to help make a positive difference in their patient’s health not because it’s their job but because it’s the right thing to do. Our mission statement says it best, we believe in “Service Before Self”.
- Good Communicators. As communication goes both ways, a great doctor should be a good listener and observer. During an emergency, there will be situations that a patient will find it difficult to properly explain their problem. A great ER physician will be able to quickly find a way to communicate with the patient to properly diagnose and determine the next steps to take.
- Knowledgeable & Confident. A great physician will be a student for life. With a mind filled with curiosity, they will be continuously abreast of the latest studies, research, methods, and technology. A knowledgeable physician with strong, healthy confidence will be listened to and respected by patients and colleagues alike.
- Friendly & Approachable. A great doctor is knowledgeable and confident, but not arrogant. People will feel more at ease during critical situations with a humble, good-natured, friendly, pleasant soul by their side. This is something that must come naturally and is genuinely heartfelt. In an emergency room, a great doctor will be able to put both their patient and family more at ease, making it “all better” during a challenging moment.
Get to Know One of Our Great Physicans, Dr. Rollin Thrift Sr.
At Prestige ER, we are blessed with having an incredible team of ER professionals on staff. Among these is ER Physician, Dr. Rollin Thrift Sr. The following is an excerpt of a short interview we had with the Doctor in lieu of National Physicians Week:
Q: Hello Dr. Thrift, tell us a little about your studies.
I went to college in Biomedical Engineering Vanderbilt University. After that, I attended medical school at the University of Florida College of Medicine. My internship was at UTMB Galveston and St. Joseph Hospital at Houston, Texas.
Q: How many years have you worked at Prestige ER?
I have been working in the field of emergency medicine for the past 13 years. I have been with Prestige ER for one (1) year.
Q: As a child, what did you first want to do when you grew up?
I wanted to be an electrical engineer.
Q: When did you change your mind?
I decided to go into healthcare while I was in college.
Q: Who have been your mentors growing up?
My high school counselor was Mr. James Helton and Dr. Smiley Hill Associate Dean of Students at the University of Florida College of Medicine.
Q: Where did you grow up?
I was born in Oak Ridge, Tennessee.
Q: What do you do when you’re not helping save lives? Do you have any hobbies?
My three favorite things when I’m not at the ER are: camping, fishing and travel.
Q: Wow! That does sound exciting! Is there a quote that you can relate to in life?
Yes, here is one by Benjamin Franklin, “It takes many good deeds to build a good reputation, and only one bad one to lose it.”
Q: That is definitely a wise quote. Back to being a doctor. What is your bedside manner like?
I always try to be a good listener with a calm demeanor.
Q: As an ER Physician, you really must be ready to encounter all types of emergencies. What is a good day like for you?
The answer is simple. Patients leave in a better condition than when they arrived at the ER.
Q: That makes perfect sense. Well, Dr. Thrift, what is your secret to being a Great Doctor?
“A great doctor should have high energy, with great attention to details, and treat patients the way I would like to be treated.”
Q: What do you love the most about working with Prestige ER?
“I love working for Prestige ER because of the excellent staff, beautiful facility, great camaderie, truly team concept.”
Thank you, Doctor Thrift, for all that you do. You truly are an incredible example of an ER Physician with a Passion for Caring. We are proud to have you by our side at Prestige ER!
Know Where to Go in the Event of an Emergency
Prestige ER is Your #1 Choice During an Emergency.
#WeStayOPEN 24/7, through weekends & all holidays!
Prestige ER is honored to serve the residents and those passing through Plano and surrounding cities like Frisco and Allen.
Part of caring for your health is to know where to go in case of an emergency. Please keep in mind that Prestige ER is Open 24/7 every day of the year, if you need us, we are here for you.
We are available 24/7 because an accident can happen at any time. Do not risk your health! Get help from the ER experts when you need it, visit us immediately on .
#1 Medical Emergency Care in Plano, Near Frisco and Allen
Find the ER Specialists at prestigeer.org, We provide the Best 24 HR. Emergency Medical Services in Plano. Don’t Wait in Line for ER Care! Don’t forget that WE STAY OPEN 24/7.
Get back on track to enjoying life, FAST! Experienced, Effective and Caring Emergency Physicians team up with the best On-Site ER care for everything from Minor to Major Injuries and Conditions.
- CT Scan, Digital X-Ray & Ultrasound
- Certified Full-Service Diagnostic Laboratory
- Specialized Pediatrics ER Care Facilities
- Extended Stay Capacity
Email: email@example.com Phone: (972)527-3000 #BestERPlano