Common Reasons Babies Visit the ER
No parent likes to think about their kids getting hurt, we feel it is our job to keep our children safe throughout their lives, however, even the most caring and vigilant parents are sometimes faced with medical emergencies where their little ones must be brought into our emergency room.
Parents often wonder what the most significant risks are, and what they can do to prevent them. The truth is there is no foolproof way to avoid all accidents and illnesses in children, the best you can do as a parent, is understand the dangers and what you can do to prevent them as much as possible.
Near Drownings and Drownings
Water poses a significant risk for small children whether they in or around large amounts of water or not, studies have shown that young children including babies can drown in less than 2 inches of water. This means a drowning or near drowning can happen anywhere, in an inflatable pool in your garden, in the bathtub, the sink, a fountain, a small bucket, and even your pet’s water bowl.
To avoid near-drownings and drownings in small children by:
- Always watching young children closely when they are in or around water
- Never leave a child alone in the bathtub, not even to reach for a towel
- Babies as young as 1-year-old can benefit from swimming lessons if their pediatrician approves
- Even if your child knows how to swim never assume they are not at risk of drowning
- Inflatable vests and other devices such as water rings do not prevent drownings in young children
While some cases we treat show clear signs of abuse by a parent or caregiver, not all of them are; sometimes inexperienced parents can cause joint injuries to their babies by merely holding them incorrectly.
We strongly advice first-time parents to enroll in a pre-natal course to learn the recommended techniques for how to:
- Hold and lift a baby correctly
- Change their diapers and clothes
- Bathe a baby
- Place them in a car seat or baby holder
When babies are first learning how to walk, falls are expected, and since bones in young children are more flexible than those of adults, fractures are usually not severe, but, they do occur.
In most instances’ parents bring their children into our emergency room for evaluation if they fall and hit their head and are showing some signs of a concussion.
Avoiding falls in small children is a near impossible task; however, you should take precautions to reduce the severity and frequency of these falls.
- Remove obstacles from your child’s path
- Install a gate and safety nets on your stairs
- Never leave a child unsupervised near a staircase
- Install padded corner protectors on your furniture
Improperly Installed Car Seats
Car crashes are one of the leading causes of infant deaths in the United States, and to aggravate the problem, over 80% of the time the car seat has not been installed correctly.
To help reduce your child’s risk of a severe injury or death during a car accident you should remember that:
- Newborns and toddlers need to ride in a rear-facing car seat until they reach the highest weight and height allowed by the manufacturer
- Toddlers and preschoolers need to be seated in a forward-facing seat with a harness for as long as possible
- Follow the manufacturer’s installation instructions and make sure the seat belt locks properly and it is tight
Once your baby starts to crawl and walk they become naturally curious of their surroundings, and unless you baby proof your home and seal all the electrical outlets, your baby runs the risk of being accidentally electrocuted if they insert their fingers or other objects into an electrical outlet.
Baby proofing your home is the surest way to avoid these incidents.
Prestige ER understands how scary a visit to the emergency room can be for both the child and its parents or caregivers, for this reason, our pediatric emergency room has been decorated to take the scary out the ER, and our pediatric emergency physicians and nurses are some of the best in the state.
Know Where to Go in the Event of an Emergency
Prestige ER is Your #1 Choice During an Emergency.
#WeStayOPEN 24/7, through weekends & all holidays!
Prestige ER is honored to serve the residents and those passing through Plano and surrounding cities like Frisco and Allen.
Part of caring for your health is to know where to go in case of an emergency. Please keep in mind that Prestige ER is Open 24/7 every day of the year, if you need us, we are here for you.
We are available 24/7 because an accident can happen at any time. Do not risk your health! Get help from the ER experts when you need it, visit us immediately on .
#1 Medical Emergency Care in Plano, Near Frisco and Allen
Find the ER Specialists at PrestigeER.org, We provide the Best 24 HR. Emergency Medical Services in Plano. Don’t Wait in Line for ER Care! Don’t forget that WE STAY OPEN 24/7.
Get back on track to enjoying life, FAST! Experienced, Effective and Caring Emergency Physicians team up with the best On-Site ER care for everything from Minor to Major Injuries and Conditions.
- CT Scan, Digital X-Ray & Ultrasound
- Certified Full-Service Diagnostic Laboratory
- Specialized Pediatrics ER Care Facilities
- Extended Stay Capacity
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: (972)527-3000 #BestERPlano