Practical Guide to Dealing with Summer Ailments
When most of us think of summer, the last thing on our minds is sickness, but, surprisingly the rise in temperature heightens the risk of some ailments.
We all look forward to our summer trips to the beach, weekend pool parties, or camping trips with fun hikes through the woods. However, all these fun activities mean our bodies will be exposed to the sun, pollen, and other allergens, not to mention a lot of sweat, dirt, humidity, and other pollutants.
While there are no foolproof ways of avoiding specific ailments, there are some ways to prevent them, so they don’t spoil our summer plans.
Dealing with Pesky Bugs
The warm Texas weather brings with it an overabundance of insects, including mosquitoes, flies, and ticks.
Aside from being annoying, these insect bites can cause local pain, swelling, redness, and itching, but, in some instances, they can cause more severe symptoms like allergic reactions or transmit a severe disease like Lime Disease, Zika, Dengue, and West Nile Virus.
How to Prevent Bug Bites
Before you go outside, follow these recommendations from our experts:
- Apply an insect repellent with at least 20% DEET to protect yourself from mosquito and tick bites
- When possible wear long sleeve shirts and pants
- Tuck shirts in and tuck pant legs into socks when hiking
- Use permethrin-treated gear (tents, sleeping bags, and clothing) when camping
- Sleep in places that are air-conditioned or screened against bugs
- Always apply sunscreen first, allow it to dry and then use the insect repellent
What to Do in Case of an Insect Bite
If you experience mild symptoms from bug bites we recommend you:
- Wash the area with soap and water
- Use ice or a cold pack to reduce the swelling
- Apply an anti-itch cream such as calamine or take an oral antihistamine
If you or someone you know, experiences a severe allergic reaction to an insect bite, bring them to Prestige ER immediate for lifesaving treatment.
Dealing with Heat Rash
For many of us, the extreme temperatures in Texas during the summer mean one thing, itchy, sore, and unsightly heat rash, or prickly rash as it is also known.
Heat rash is a medical condition called miliaria, and it occurs when the sweat ducts become obstructed when this happens sweat is unable to flow to the surface of the skin; instead it leaks into the skin causing it to become inflamed and form small, red, itchy bumps.
How to Prevent Heat Rash
The only way to entirely prevent heat rash is not to sweat, this, of course, is somewhat difficult during the hot summer months, but here are some tips to avoid sweating as much as possible:
- Try to spend most of the time in air-conditioned spaces
- Use clothing made from a natural lite fiber such as cotton or linen.
- Avoid friction from clothing, this can irritate the skin and aggravate the rash
- Cooldown with a cold shower
- Avoid the use of sticky skincare products and sunscreens, choose those that have a lighter texture
What to Do in Case You Get Heat Rash
In the event you are unable to prevent the onset of a heat rash this is what our experts recommend you do:
- Don’t scratch, we know it will be difficult but trust us it will only make matters worse
- Take an oral antihistamine
- Apply cold water compresses to cool down the area
- Apply calamine lotion to the affected area
- If your rash does not improve or it becomes unbearable, stop by Prestige ER for treatment.
Dealing with Summer Cold
Summer colds are more common than you might think, and unlike the winter colds which are caused by the rhinovirus, summer colds are caused by the enterovirus, which aside from the typical respiratory symptoms like sneezing, congestion, cough, and fever, can also cause stomach upset.
How to Prevent Summer Colds
A robust immune system is imperative to avoid getting a summer cold, for this, you need to:
- Follow a balanced and nutritious diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables
- Get plenty of sleep
- Wash your hands with water and soap after using the bathroom, and before and after manipulating food
- Gradually increase your physical activity, the enterovirus has been associated with a weak immune system due to strenuous exercise
Set your air conditioning to a cool but not too cold temperature to avoid drastic climate changes while moving between the hot weather outdoors to the cool air-conditioned indoor spaces
What to Do in Case Your Get a Summer Cold
Time is the best remedy for a summer cold, symptoms usually disappear after 10 days, during this time you should:
- Get plenty of rest
- Drink lots of fluids
- You can take over the counter medicines to alleviate your symptoms
If you have diarrhea or vomiting that you cannot bring under control with over the counter medications, you should come to Prestige ER for treatment as you could become dehydrated. Also, we recommend that you visit the ER if you are experiencing any of the following:
- A fever higher than 103 degrees,
- Acute headaches and/or sinus pain,
- Symptoms that last longer than 10 days,
- Trouble breathing, fast breathing, or wheezing,
- Pain or pressure in the chest area,
- Confusion or disorientation,
- Fainting or feeling faint.
Prestige ER is dedicated to keeping you and your loved ones safe and healthy during these summer months; should you fall prey to one of these ailments, rest assured our staff will be here 24/7 to help you recover fast, so you can enjoy your summer plans.
Know Where to Go in the Event of an Emergency
Prestige ER is Your #1 Choice During an Emergency.
#WeStayOPEN 24/7, through weekends & all holidays!
Prestige ER is honored to serve the residents and those passing through Plano and surrounding cities like Frisco and Allen.
Part of caring for your health is to know where to go in case of an emergency. Please keep in mind that Prestige ER is Open 24/7 every day of the year, if you need us, we are here for you.
We are available 24/7 because an accident can happen at any time. Do not risk your health! Get help from the ER experts when you need it, visit us immediately on .
#1 Medical Emergency Care in Plano, Near Frisco and Allen
Find the ER Specialists at PrestigeER.org, We provide the Best 24 HR. Emergency Medical Services in Plano. Don’t Wait in Line for ER Care! Don’t forget that WE STAY OPEN 24/7.
Get back on track to enjoying life, FAST! Experienced, Effective and Caring Emergency Physicians team up with the best On-Site ER care for everything from Minor to Major Injuries and Conditions.
- CT Scan, Digital X-Ray & Ultrasound
- Certified Full-Service Diagnostic Laboratory
- Specialized Pediatrics ER Care Facilities
- Extended Stay Capacity
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: (972)527-3000 #BestERPlano