How to Have Fun Safely this 4th OF JULY
Celebrate Our Nation’s Independence Safely
This 4th of July we commemorate the 242nd anniversary of our country’s independence, and this calls for a celebration!
We know Texans are the most patriotic Americans and that everything must be big here, but, along with big fun, and big fireworks displays comes significant dangers as well. Prestige ER along with other local, state, and federal public safety agencies want you to have lots of fun but at the same time celebrate the holiday safely, and to help you plan a safe 4th of July bash we recommend you follow these helpful tips.
It would not be the 4th of July without some fireworks lighting up the sky. And although some counties allow the selling of fireworks this time of year, we cannot stress enough that the safest way to enjoy a pyrotechnic show is to attend one done by professionals, if you get to go to one of these make sure you stay at least 500 feet away.
Did you know that sparklers burn at a temperature of around of 2000°F? That is enough to cause third-degree burns!
Here we offer you some tips to safely enjoy the 4th of July Fireworks at home:
- Never operate fireworks while drunk
- Always keep a garden hose handy in case of emergency
- Never let children manipulate or light any fireworks
- Make sure the person who oversees lighting fireworks always wears eye protection
- Light fireworks one at a time and never attempt to reignite a dud, in fact, you should always douse dud with plenty of water
- Never throw or aim a firework towards people, animals, cars, homes, sheds, or flammable materials.
Every year during the summer months and especially around the 4th of July holiday, the Prestige ER staff is busy treating patients who were injured using their backyard grills.
If hosting a barbecue is part of your celebratory plans, then ensuring your safety and that of your friends and family should be your number one priority. So, before you get those burgers, hot dogs, and steaks on the grill make sure to read these important grilling safety tips:
- Charcoal and gas grills should never be used indoors
- Place the grill in an open area with plenty of ventilation and away from trees, shrubs, and other flammable materials
- Always supervise your barbecue while in use
- Keep children, pets, and drunken friends away from the hot grill
- Only use the long-handled barbecue cooking utensils which are made specially to safeguard the cook from accidentally burning themselves
- Never add charcoal starter fluid, gasoline or other flammable substances when coals have already been ignited
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using your grill
A lot of times when hosting outdoor parties’ food is mishandled and as a result guests and hosts are exposed to harmful food bacteria and could inadvertently get food poisoning.
To avoid food poisoning from happening proper food handling is necessary, keep these things in mind:
- Always wash your hands before and after manipulating raw foods
- Don’t rinse poultry meats in the kitchen sink, this only serves to spread germs to more surfaces
- Refrigerate any leftover foods as soon as everyone is done eating, you can always reheat and serve them again if your guests get hungry
To destroy harmful bacteria such as salmonella food needs to be cooked properly, the following chart will indicate the minimum temperatures required for each type of protein:
|Food Item||Minimum Cooking Temperature|
|Fresh Meats – steaks, roasts, chops||145°F|
|Ground Meats – Burgers||160°F|
|Poultry and Fowl||165°F|
|Fish and shellfish||145°F|
|Reheated Cooked Ham||140°F|
|Eggs and Egg Dishes||160°F|
Water Safety Tips
If you have planned a fun day at a water park, lake, or just plan to have a pool party at home, we recommend you read the following tips to avoid any dangers for you and your loved ones:
- Limit or avoid alcohol while you are in proximity to bodies of water
- Always supervise kids while they swim or play near water
- Wear waterproof sunscreen and reapply every 2 hours
- If you are going boating, make sure everyone on the boat is wearing a well-fitted life jacket
This 4th of July, let’s go have fun and celebrate our brave founding fathers who 242 years ago felt inspired to create this great country. And we should also take a few minutes to honor the great men and women who serve this country to help us preserve our freedom.
Prestige ER as always will remain open to attend any medical emergency you or your loved ones encounter.
Know Where to Go in the Event of an Emergency
Prestige ER is Your #1 Choice During an Emergency.
#WeStayOPEN 24/7, through weekends & all holidays!
Prestige ER is honored to serve the residents and those passing through Plano and surrounding cities like Frisco and Allen.
Part of caring for your health is to know where to go in case of an emergency. Please keep in mind that Prestige ER is Open 24/7 every day of the year, if you need us, we are here for you.
We are available 24/7 because an accident can happen at any time. Do not risk your health! Get help from the ER experts when you need it, visit us immediately on .
#1 Medical Emergency Care in Plano, Near Frisco and Allen
Find the ER Specialists at prestigeer.org, We provide the Best 24 HR. Emergency Medical Services in Plano. Don’t Wait in Line for ER Care! Don’t forget that WE STAY OPEN 24/7.
Get back on track to enjoying life, FAST! Experienced, Effective and Caring Emergency Physicians team up with the best On-Site ER care for everything from Minor to Major Injuries and Conditions.
- CT Scan, Digital X-Ray & Ultrasound
- Certified Full-Service Diagnostic Laboratory
- Specialized Pediatrics ER Care Facilities
- Extended Stay Capacity
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: (972)527-3000 #BestERPlano