Preventing Common Winter Injuries
Plano is Beautiful During Winter
Plano has some of the best weather conditions in the country, with an average annual rainfall of 40 inches and only 2 inches of snow.
But this year weather conditions are atypical for our normally sunny city, and this may cause an increase in winter injuries, to help you avoid these the helpful staff of Prestige ER has prepared a simple safety guide for you and your family.
Most Common Winter Injuries
Most injuries occur when we are performing our everyday routines, and because we are not accustomed to these frigid weather conditions we may be caught off-guard.
It is important to remember that cold temperatures can decrease blood flow to our muscles, which can cause them to tighten up and possibly limit our range of motion making us more prone to suffer any of the following:
- Slips and Falls
- Head Trauma
- Sprains, Strains, and Fractures
Injury Prevention Tips
Being aware of the potential hazards that cold weather conditions can carry, is the most important aspect to preventing injuries, always check the weather forecast before leaving your home, this way you will be prepared to face whatever mother nature has in store for us.
Preventing Head Trauma
Head trauma injuries are usually sustained during a fall and can be more common while practicing a winter sport like skiing, snowboarding, or ice skating.
If you are practicing a winter sport you should:
- Wear appropriate headgear for the sport you are engaging in.
- Scan the route to ensure there are no trees, poles, rocks, or other obstacles on the course that could cause you to fall.
- Never let children out of your sight, they can easily fall and hit their heads and not mention this to you.
If you or anyone you know shows signs of a concussion after a fall like dizziness, nausea, confusion, or loss of coordination, rush to our emergency room facility for diagnoses and immediate treatment.
Preventing Slips and Falls
As we mentioned before, cold weather can have an impact on our range of motion, this makes us more likely to lose our balance and slip or fall.
To prevent injuries related to slips and falls you should:
- Plan Ahead: if you must go out in cold weather conditions, make sure you plan your route, make sure there are no obstacles on the sidewalk, don’t rush yourself, it is better to get to where you are going a few minutes late than not getting there at all.
- Wear Proper Clothing and Shoes: Warm clothing will shield your muscles from extreme temperatures and help keep them from tightening up. Use shoes that provide some sort of traction, this is especially important if there is snow or ice on the sidewalks or roads.
- Walk like a Penguin: It may not be the most elegant thing to do, but short, shuffling steps, can help prevent you from slipping or falling.
Preventing Strains, Sprains, and Fractures
Our everyday activities can have unexpected consequences when we perform them in cold weather conditions and can easily lead to strains and sprains in our neck, back, shoulders, knees, ankles, wrists, and elbows.
To prevent these, try to:
- Stretch and warm up your muscles before you start your activity, this could be anything from taking the dog for a walk, taking out the trash, lifting heavy objects, or practicing a sport.
- If you need to shovel our driveway or rake your yard, remember not to over exhort yourself, pick small loads of snow or leaves at a time, and pause frequently.
- Keep Hydrated, it is easy to forget to drink plenty of liquids during the winter, but, cold weather conditions can dehydrate you just the same as hot weather conditions can.
- If you lose your footing and fall avoid trying to catch yourself with your hands, as the impact can result in sprained or even broken wrists and elbows, instead try to land on your forearms, this will prevent stress on more delicate bones.
- If you have weak wrists, the use of a wrist guard may help prevent injuries in this area.
Prestige ER – In Plano, Texas, Near Frisco and Allen
#1 CHOICE for FAST 24/7 EMERGENCY CARE
Safeguard yourself and family during these cold winter months, limit your time outdoors when possible, and keep an eye on any potential hazard, at Prestige ER we always advocate for prevention but are ready to treat any injury when it happens.
We are available 24/7 because an accident or illness complication can happen at any time. Do not risk your health for not getting help from the ER experts, visit us immediately on.
Find the ER Specialists at prestigeer.org, We provide the Best 24 HR. Emergency Medical Services in Plano. Don’t Wait in Line for ER Care!
Get back on track to enjoying life, FAST! Experienced, Effective and Caring Emergency Physicians team up with the best On-Site ER care for everything from Minor to Major Injuries and Conditions.
- CT Scan, Digital X-Ray & Ultrasound
- Certified Full-Service Diagnostic Laboratory
- Specialized Pediatrics ER Care Facilities
- Extended Stay Capacity
#PrestigeERCares About YOU! We’re at 7940 Custer Road, Plano, Texas 75025
Email: email@example.com Phone: (972)527-3000 #BestERPlano