Deadlier than the Swine Flu
Is this the Worst Flu Season Ever?
This season’s most widespread flu strain, H3N2, is more deadly than the swine flu according to CNBC. This could very be the worst flu season in history.
- Flu season is widespread in 46 states as reported by CDC
- This is four times more than last year.
- In the US, thirteen children have died from this flu season as of today.
- Children 5 years or younger are at risk, those two years and younger are at the highest risk.
- A total of 31 people in Dallas County have died from the flu to date as reported by DCHHC
- The adult flu death victims in Dallas are aged 47 – 88.
- Some have a higher risk of developing complications due to medical conditions.
While national organizations are calling for the development of a vaccine for the dangerous H3N2, known as influenza A, Prestige ER warns our communities that we must be prepared.
The best way to begin to prepare ourselves is getting informed and taking the necessary steps to fight this flu season. One of the ways is to take a flu shot. However, many are asking why if they took the flu shot, are they still getting sick?
Why Are the Flu Shots Not As Effective?
The Influenza A, or the “Aussie Flu” which flourishes in both human and pig populations, evolved from the “Asian Flu” H2N2 and has been gathering strength ever since. Viruses evolve which means that they mutate and become stronger. While the medical experts develop more potent and effective flu shots, the viruses adapt to their new enemy and learn how to fight it off best. To make matters more complicated, the FDA requires that flu vaccines must be grown and eggs and apparently the influenza A virus grows “poorly in eggs, making it difficult to obtain candidate vaccine viruses.”
Once we have the new and improved vaccine, according to the CDC, it takes a minimum of six months to create the vaccine in large quantities and have enough available for the public. While we allow the medical experts to concoct the new flu shot, there are also other challenges to faces beside tightly packed hospitals.
A Shortage of Saline to Treat Patients With Flu Symptoms Further Complicate Matters
A shortage of supplies of IV saline and amino acids creates additional stress on hospitals during Flu Season. As the country’s biggest supplier in Puerto Rico received a hit during Hurricane Maria last year, doctors and nurses are low on the vital hydration source so necessary to treat flu symptom complication victims. According to the CNBC News, some hospitals are resorting to unconventional alternatives such as Gatorade in order to properly hydrate their weakened patients.
While this may or may not be worst flu season ever, we all have a role to play in helping fight the flu season.
Prevent the Spread of the Deadly Influenza Virus in Dallas
We may not know if we are near the peak of the flu season or not, we can know that we need to protect ourselves and do our part to minimize the spread of the flu season.
Advice From the Medical Experts in Three Easy Steps:
- Cover Your Hands When You Cough or Sneeze
- Wash Your Hands Frequently
- Please stay home if you are sick
Most Common Complications from the Flu
The flu is a viral illness that affects the upper respiratory tract (nose, throat), as well as the lower respiratory tract (lungs), when the illness is not properly treated from the onset, complications ranging from moderate to life-threatening can develop.
- Ear infections
- Sinus infections
Severe or Life-Threatening Complications
- Inflammation of the heart (myocarditis)
- Inflammation of the brain (encephalitis)
- Inflammation of muscle tissue (myositis, rhabdomyolysis)
- Multi-Organ failure (for example, respiratory and kidney failure)
When You Should Visit Prestige ER
Our immune systems weaken with age, and people who are 65 or older often develop long-term health problems like heart disease, and COPD, which increases their risk of developing complications from the influenza virus.
People with the flu who are 65 and older should seek immediate emergency medical assistance if they experience the following:
- Trouble breathing
- Persistent fevers
- Sweats and or chills
- No significant health improvements after three or four days
- Symptoms that initially improve but then seem to get worse
Pregnancy brings about many changes in a woman’s body, some of which can weaken the immune system, and affect the heart and lungs putting them at risk of developing complications from the flu.
Women with the flu who are pregnant or have given birth within two weeks should come into our emergency room the moment they experience any of the following symptoms:
- High fevers, sweats and or chills, fevers in pregnant women can lead to harmful side effects in the unborn child
- Decrease or lack of movement from the baby
- Pain, pressure in the chest or abdomen
- Sudden dizziness
- Persistent vomiting
- Elevated blood pressure
Children and Infants
The immune system in children under the age of 5 is not fully developed yet, putting them at risk of developing serious complications from the flu virus compared to adults.
If your child shows any of the following signs please rush him to Prestige ER immediately:
- Trouble breathing
- Persistent high fevers, sweats and or chills
- If their skin color turns bluish or grey
- Intense vomiting
- If they have trouble swallowing or drinking
- If they seem lethargic, are having trouble responding or interacting with others
- Decreased appetite
- If symptoms improve only to worsen again.
Prestige ER – In Plano, Texas, Near Frisco and Allen
#1 CHOICE for FAST 24/7 EMERGENCY CARE
At Prestige ER we are fully equipped to diagnose and treat anyone showing the typical symptoms of the influenza virus, as well as those who have developed complications. Our in-house certified laboratory and extensive diagnostic equipment will provide quick and accurate results, allowing our emergency doctors to begin lifesaving treatment immediately.
We are available 24/7 because an accident or illness complication can happen at any time. Do not risk your health for not getting help from the ER experts, visit us immediately on .
Find the ER Specialists at PrestigeER.org, We provide the Best 24 HR. Emergency Medical Services in Plano. Don’t Wait in Line for ER Care!
Get back on track to enjoying life, FAST! Experienced, Effective and Caring Emergency Physicians team up with the best On-Site ER care for everything from Minor to Major Injuries and Conditions.
- CT Scan, Digital X-Ray & Ultrasound
- Certified Full-Service Diagnostic Laboratory
- Specialized Pediatrics ER Care Facilities
- Extended Stay Capacity
Email: email@example.com Phone: (972)527-3000 #BestERPlano